Found this comparison Bad v. Good Consultants on Robert Rosenthal's blog.
My favorites are:
- Bad consultants focus on short-term agendas. Good consultants effect long-term change.
- Bad consultants treat external partners as competitors. Good consultants treat them as collaborators.
- Bad consultants care about looking good. Good consultants care about being good.
- Bad consultants tell you what you want to hear. Good consultants tell you what you need to hear.
And I would like to add:
- Bad consultants prefer not to debate with you. Good consultants seek [constructive] debates with you.
- Bad consultants want to grow their business with you. Good consultants want to grow your business.